well the kids are still sick... here's what we are dealing with here...
last tuesday night after I'd put Levi in bed I heard him crying in his room. I went in and got in bed with him and asked him what was the matter and he was holding his ear saying that his ear hurt. So, wednesday morning I called and got an appointment at our pediatrician's and Levi was diagnosed with an ear infection and sent home with two bottles of Amoxicillin. He HATES amoxicillin. Some people try to hide it in applesauce or yogurt, but I can't do that with Levi. I have to just give it to him straight and let him wash it down with juice and even then he still gags and makes a big ordeal of it. When he downs it all we make a big production out of it by "raising the roof" and doing a funky dance while chanting "Go Levi! Go Levi!"
So that was all on wednesday. Thursday we went to Tons of Trucks with the Haustein's and it was drizzly and windy and frigidly cold. Friday morning Audrey woke up with a 104.8 fever. I thought to myself that the cold weather on thursday had helped contribute to her catching Levi's walking pneumonia so back to the doctor we went. He listened to her and ruled out walking pneumonia and swabbed her throat to do a strep culture, which came back negative. So... the diagnosis ended up being roseola. With roseola, kids run high fevers for three days and on the fourth day they break out into a rash. Well, later friday afternoon, Audrey's fever broke and it never spiked again. I watched her all night and it never got high again... not even in the night which is when it's typical for kids to spike a fever if they are going to. And on day four she didn't break out in a rash... instead, she had lost her voice and was hacking up a lung. So back to the doctor we went. In case you are having a hard time keeping up... this is two days ago I'm talking about now.
While we were at the doctor and Audrey was up on the table so he could listen to her cough, our pediatrician (yes, Lindsay, it's Dr. Garb... love that man!) heard Levi cough in the background. He said he wanted to listen to Levi cough too so Levi got up on the table next. Next thing I know he's leaving the room to pull Levi's chart and was asking me all of these questions. Next thing I know he's handing me a 37 page booklet on Understanding Your Child and Asthma. Levi hasn't officially been diagnosed with Asthma but the doc thinks he might have it and we are supposed to go back in two weeks for a follow up visit on that. Meanwhile, it's determined that Audrey has fluid in her ears. So he prescribes them both Zithromax and tells me to take Levi off of the Amoxicillin.
Two days later (this morning) Levi comes to my bedroom this morning crying, telling me that his ear hurts. *sigh*
so I called the doctor's office and talked with a nurse there. She said she's talk to Dr. Garb about it and call me back. Now, with our old pediatrician, that could mean that maybe they'd call me back and maybe they wouldn't. and if they did it was usually HOURS later and my child had been feeling miserable the whole time. The nurse from Dr. Garb's office immediately called me back!! She said to put him back on the Amoxicillin (SO GLAD I KEPT IT IN MY FRIDGE AND DIDN'T THROW IT AWAY!!)but to also keep him on the Zithromax. Both antibiotics at once will literally kill everything in his body. She said that he'll have horrible poops and maybe some abdominal pain, and she suggested that I pump yogurt into him to get some bacteria back in his body because as of today, he's on two antibiotics at the same time. This kid's gonna be flushed out! poor guy. =[
I swear I could set up pharmaceutical shop in my kitchen. Maybe I'll take a picture. Two bottles of Zithromax, two bottles of Amoxicillin, tylenol, Delsym cough syrup. and all of the various methods of measuring and administering them. It's funny in a not-so-funny sort of way.
so that's our update for today. Thanks for keeping us in your prayers!!
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Yikes. Sorry! I hope all the medicine works, and that everyone's back to normal soon!
And you were right - wheat thins! :-)
So sorry to hear everyone is still down in the dumps. Is Dr. G. a blessing! Glad he is working out good for you!
Post a Comment