
We had a very packed weekend, this past weekend. It all started Friday. After John got off of work at 5:00 he hopped directly in his truck loaded up with his four-wheeler in the back, and headed up to Columbia. This is a pretty big accomplishment for John. Usually, when he says he'll be leaving town right after work, what he really means is that he won't actually pull out of his driveway any earlier than 8:00. John's a pretty busy man, he never has his bags packed in advance, and there's always something last minute that comes up... but on Friday, I got a call from him at 5:07 telling me that he was headed our way. Pleasant surprise! He arrived right around dinner time and since we were all starving, we headed to Shakespeare's pizza. YUM!
Saturday, everyone woke up early early so that we could get to the Boone County Fairgrouds by 8:00. Why? Because that was when the gates opened for the Red Power Round Up. Oh yeah. You read that right. Red Power Round Up. Jealous huh? What? You've never HEARD of Red Power Round Up?? Oh... well... neither had I... until last week anyway, when John annouced that we'd be going to it on Saturday morning.
So, I know you are dying to find out what in the world the Red Power Round Up is, right?
I'm here to answer all of your questions. Um, or at least the ones I can answer. Like, "why is it called the Red Power Round Up?", and "Is it held in Missouri every year?" and "Why did John care to go so badly?" and that's the extent of the questions I know the answers to regarding red power.
Alright, you know how John Deere tractors are always green? C'mon, you remember the old country song... "and the whole town said, that he should have used red, but it looked good to Charlene, in John Deere green." Well, if he'd used red, it would have been Farmall Red.

And Farmall tractors are made by International Harvester... which... John is obsessed with. This year a country song has been released titled Interational Harvester... "chug a-lug-a-luggin 5 miles an Ow-Errrr (hour) on my International Harvesterrrrr."

More than you cared to know about tractors? John is going to read this and laugh his hiney off that I'm sitting here acting like I know what I'm talking about. Really, I have no clue. I'm just kinda making it up as I go along. Sounds good though, right? Humor me.
So anyway,
There are people in this world who are obsessed with International Harvester. There are entire groups of people who form clubs around International Harvester! I know, crazy right?


International Harvester is who makes the Scout, which is what John collects. The truck we go muddin' in is a scout. I've written a blog post before about all of the Scouts John has in the field down below his house. It's an obsession really. A hobby that I know he wishes he had more time and money to dedicate to.
So, to answer my second question... no, the red power round up is not held in Missouri every year. Different states take turns hosting the event, and John can't ever remember a time that it's been in Missouri, so this was a huge deal for him. He's driven all the way to Ohio before to attend a Red Power Round Up. Being in Missouri, much less right here in the same town his girlfried lives in almost put John straight over the moon. He wasn't going to miss it come you-know-what or high water.
So, we went, we saw, we conquered.

We didn't get lost in any mud holes, just stepped in a lot of them.
We even made a fashion statement.


and then we hit the road for the rest of our very long, very busy, very fun day



No comments:
Post a Comment