Thursday, May 8, 2008

Proverbs 31:29

I know that Mother's Day isn't for another two days, but I've had this blog on my heart all day and wanted to go ahead and jot it down.

This is one of my favorite pictures from the day that Audrey was born...



What you don't see in that picture, is this woman...



My beautiful mother.

I'll always regret that I don't have a picture of her with me in the labor and delivery room. Many of you may not know that besides the doctor and nurse, my mom was the only other person in the room with me on the day I gave birth to Audrey.

I had a natural labor and delivery and my mom was just wonderful. Talking to me when I needed distractions, being quiet when I just wanted silence, rubbing me when I needed rubbed.

When I got the sensation that I needed to push, mom came to the side of the bed and held my hand. What I didn't know until later, was that, as I pushed my 7 and a half pound baby out with no drugs, I had squeezed mom's hand so hard I bruised it.... and she never said a thing. She didn't wince, or grimace, or try to pull her hand away. She held on tight, letting me squeeze and coached me all the way.

She really pulled through for me that day, and the thing about mom, is that she always has pulled through, and I know she always will.

I don't know what got me thinking this today. Perhaps it is Mother's Day coming up that is making me all wax nostalgic. But, today, I wanted to say thank you to my mom.

Mom, thank you for always holding on tight and coaching me all the way, even when I squeezed so hard it bruised... not just on the day I had Audrey.



"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
-- Proverbs 31:29

1 comment:

Amy said...

This is so sweet, Beck. Moms are truly amazing.